Prepare your business for Brexit – Jan 2021

A post-Brexit trade deal could be sealed as talks between the UK government and European Union continue this week.  Before the weekend, both parties said that ‘no-deal’ was the most likely outcome. Whether or not a deal is agreed, you should ensure that your business is prepared for operating under new rules.  Please review the information and guidance below on what arrangements you could face from January 2021 onwards.

Resources to help you prepare for a no-deal Brexit

Create an Action Plan: Answer a few questions for your personalised action list for you and your business from the GOV.UK website.

Importing Goods: If you import goods from the EU, you will need to change your processes from 1 January 2021. Find step by step instructions and prepare your plan now

Exporting Goods: The process for exporting goods to the EU will change from 1 January 2021. Find out what actions you need to take in order to start or continue exporting goods to the EU.

Travelling in Europe: Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021. You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will also need a ‘green card’ and a GB sticker.

Find out more if your business is based in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Brexit and Driving in Europe

Green Cards for driving in Europe

In leaving the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ended on 31 December 2020. As a result there will now be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

A Green Card is an international certificate of motor insurance that is accepted in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Green Cards will be required for each individual vehicle and trailers over 750kgs or braked. You may need a separate Green Card for caravans and trailers.

You will be breaking the law if you attempt to drive without a Green Card and may be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

Contact us to request your Green Card. Please do so at least a month before you are due to travel so that you receive the document in good time.

We will contact your insurer and your Green Card will be issued either by post or electronically. Print the Green Card on white paper with black ink as electronic copies will not be valid when you travel.

Each trip will need to be notified to the insurer separately and there may be a small admin charge, depending on the insurer.

If you need any further guidance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Government guidance:
Visiting the EU After 1 January 2021
Driving in the EU After Brexit